WorkSafeBC is giving BC Interior wineries the thumbs up for their COVID-19 safety plans.
The provincial government agency conducted an on-site inspection blitz between May 10 and June 4.
The inspections and consultations confirmed that up-to-date COVID-19 safety plans were in place and implemented effectively, and controls are implemented to protect workers from COVID-19 transmission.
Officers were deployed to conduct on-site inspections, and occupational health and safety consultants contacted additional employers by phone to review employers’ obligations and COVID-19 safety plans. The focus was on key measures including occupancy limits, ensuring worker health checks designed to prevent sick workers entering workplaces are implemented, enforcing social distancing practices, and using barriers and masks where required.
The inspections focused on wineries, cideries, and craft breweries with tasting rooms:
- Two prevention officers participated in the initiative
- 48 inspections were conducted
- 32 consultations were conducted
- 100% of the inspections were conducted on-site
- All inspections and consultations were conducted in the interior health region
- 2% of inspections resulted in orders – two total orders were issued