Just Released: Royal LePage Q4 2018 House Price Survey
The Q4 2018 Royal LePage House Price Survey was released to media early this morning. Below you will find highlights from the release, links to social media assets available for you to share and select media coverage.
Key highlights from the national release include:
- The price of a home in Canada increased 4.0 per cent year-over-year to $631,223 in the fourth quarter of 2018, continuing the recovery from the most significant housing correction since the financial crisis. Condominiums continued to see the highest rate of appreciation nationally when compared to the detached segment, rising 7.2 per cent year-over-year to $447,915.
- The Canadian economy is performing well overall, with pockets of uncertainty. Persistently weak oil prices driven by domestic market access bottlenecks and global supply gluts have hit Western Canada hard, and trade tensions between China and the U.S. in particular are impacting consumer confidence across the continent.
- The GTA was a story of contrasts. The City of Toronto experienced a strong rebound in the fourth quarter, while the surrounding areas remained relatively weak year-over-year. Prices in Toronto saw sizable increases, rising 8.8 per cent compared to 3.4 per cent gains for the GTA more broadly.
- The aggregate price of a home in the Greater Montreal Area passed the $400,000 mark, rising to $407,230, an increase of 4.1 per cent from the same period last year. This represents a higher rate of appreciation than that seen in both the GTA and Greater Vancouver, and above the national aggregate percentage increase.
- Home price appreciation in Greater Vancouver grew at a modest pace rising 2.1 per cent in the fourth quarter from the year before, to an aggregate price of $1,274,831. More affordable suburbs like Langley, Surrey, and Coquitlam that had seen double digit price growth in previous quarters grew at a more modest pace rising 2.4 per cent, 2.3 per cent, and 0.4 per cent respectively.
A big thank you to all of our spokespeople from across the country for their contributions in providing regional perspectives. Regional insights can be found in both the national release and in city-specific releases.
We have developed a series of images for the national and largest real estate markets analyzed in the Survey. Feel free to use them and share them on your social media channels!
Consumers, organizations and the media turn to Royal LePage as a trusted source for expert commentary. So far today we have achieved great media coverage, including:
BNN Bloomberg: https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/calgary-housing-market-remarkably-resilient-despite-low-oil-prices-royal-lepage-1.1197062
Montreal Gazette (also print): https://montrealgazette.com/business/local-business/real-estate/real-estate-price-increase-in-montreal-tops-toronto-vancouver
Edmonton Journal: https://edmontonjournal.com/business/local-business/real-estate/real-estate-price-increase-in-montreal-tops-toronto-vancouver/wcm/2d32b1c4-1e31-4d24-aafa-94816d147c5b
The Province: https://theprovince.com/business/local-business/real-estate/real-estate-price-increase-in-montreal-tops-toronto-vancouver/wcm/2d32b1c4-1e31-4d24-aafa-94816d147c5b
Vancouver Sun: https://vancouversun.com/business/local-business/real-estate/real-estate-price-increase-in-montreal-tops-toronto-vancouver/wcm/2d32b1c4-1e31-4d24-aafa-94816d147c5b
CBC News Montreal: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/montreal-real-estate-2019-1.4973418
CBC News Hamilton: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/real-estate-condo-1.4973989
CHEK News: https://www.cheknews.ca/victoria-aggregate-house-price-climbs-8-4-per-cent-in-fourth-quarter-of-2018-royal-lepage-survey-523727/
Daily Hive: https://dailyhive.com/toronto/toronto-condo-prices-increase-2018
Daily Hive: https://dailyhive.com/montreal/montreal-real-estate-record-numbers-2018
Global News : https://globalnews.ca/news/4837354/mortgage-stress-test-higher-interest-rates-saskatoon-housing-market/
Global News: https://globalnews.ca/news/4837332/hamilton-average-house-price/
ICI Radio Canada: https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1146161/prix-maisons-condos-royal-lepage-etude-proprietes
Calgary’s Business: https://calgarysbusiness.ca/albertas-business2/home-prices-rise-calgary-edmonton/
Kitchener Today: https://www.kitchenertoday.com/local-news/housing-report-for-q4-of-2018-shows-stability-1191702
Le Droit: https://www.ledroit.com/affaires/un-printemps-2019-exceptionnel-a-gatineau-3589e233bdddfb65cdebd82bd824bd6d
Le Journal de Québec: https://www.journaldequebec.com/2019/01/10/le-marche-immobilier-termine-lannee-avec-des-prix-en-hausse
Ottawa Business Journal: https://obj.ca/index.php/article/sellers-market-drives-ottawa-home-prices-9-q4-2018-royal-lepage
Saskatoon Star Phoenix (also print): https://thestarphoenix.com/news/local-news/buyers-market-continues-but-rebound-expected-in-2019
The Province: https://theprovince.com/news/local-news/buyers-market-continues-but-rebound-expected-in-2019/wcm/71639316-c603-4897-b411-e43fb62faad4
The Quebec Post: https://theqpost.com/the-real-estate-market-ended-the-year-with-prices-rising/97559
The Star Halifax: https://www.thestar.com/halifax/2019/01/11/the-average-home-in-halifax-will-now-cost-you-more-than-321000.html
Troy Media: http://troymedia.com/2019/01/11/home-prices-rise-calgary-edmonton/
TVA Nouvelles: https://www.tvanouvelles.ca/2019/01/11/le-marche-de-quebec-termine-avec-des-prix-en-hausse
TVA Nouvelles: https://www.tvanouvelles.ca/2019/01/11/montreal-depasse-toronto-et-vancouver